Thursday, June 21, 2012

Baked French Toast

This is an EASY PEASY breakfast.  You can prepare it the night before and cover it in the refrigerator and throw it in the oven first thing in the morning.  It can also be made right before you bake it.  Choose your preference but either way, it's awesome!

Baked French Toast
5 cups cubed bread (I love using french bread-and I cube it with my electric knife:)
6 eggs
2 cups milk
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt (I love using kosher salt)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp butter or margarine
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp sugar 

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 baking dish.  Place cubed bread in baking dish.  In a bowl, beat the eggs, milk, 2 tbsp sugar, salt and vanilla.  Carefully and evenly pour over bread.  Dot the top with small pieces of the butter.  Let soak-I use a spoon to push the bread down and around to soak up the egg mixture.  Combine cinnamon and last 2 Tbsp sugar and sprinkle on the top.  Bake for 35-40 minutes or until egg is set and done and golden on top.  Serve with fresh hot maple syrup or with my favorite creamy cinnamon pancake syrup.

No comments :