Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Ham and Cheese Quiche

I found this recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook but I have changed it a little bit. My in-laws ate this while they were visiting and she requested that I post it for her. We LOVE this. Even the kids eat it and Derrel usually doesn't like quiche but he rants and raves about this one!





Ham and Cheese Quiche
1 recipe for single crust pie
4 beaten eggs
1 1/4 cups half and half or milk
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
Dash of ground nutmeg
3/4 cup chopped cooked ham, turkey
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded Swiss, cheddar, Monterrey Jack or Harvarti cheese (I use Monterrey Jack)
1 tbsp flour

Prepare and roll out pie crust. I use store bought (it's easier). When I am feeling like cooking more healthily, I make whole wheat pie crust (just substitute whole wheat flour for all purpose flour). It's AWESOME! Poke holes in pie crust with a fork and bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes. I fold a square piece of aluminum foil in fourths and rip a circle a quarter of the size of the pie in the middle corner. When opened, it forms a circle which you can cover your pie crust with so it won't get too brown. Reduce oven to 350 degrees.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir eggs, milk, green onions, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in meat. In a small bowl, toss together the cheese and flour. Add to egg mixture and mix well.

Pour egg mixture into hot, baked pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. If you are baking more than one at the same time, it will take longer! Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting.

No comments :